Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Pickles!

In the Henrickson house we love Pickles! About three years ago our neighbors Dave and Alethea invited us over for a BBQ and in this cute little container were the most delicious pickles I have ever eaten! 'Where did you get these?' I asked. 'I made them.' Alethea responded. 'Teach me how...' I responded, and she did! That summer She planted a garden and when it was time to harvest she invited me over and we picked these cute little cucumbers and in a few short steps we had pickles! The next year I tried to plant my own cucumber plants but they did not produce more than a handful of cucumbers. This year I put in 4 cucumber plants and on Sunday I made PICKLES!!!!You start by picking your cucumbers, gently wash them, then slice them.
You will need a few ingredients to add to your cucumbers. Apple Cider Vinegar, Pickling Salt, Sugar, Mustard Seed, Celery Seed, Onion, Garlic, and Dill.
You mix together 4 cups Vinegar, 4 cups Sugar, 1 1/2 T Mustard seed, 1 1/2 T Celery seed and 1/4 cup Pickling salt in a stock pot. (this is enough to do 3 Qts of Pickles so you may need to double or triple the recipe depending on how many cucumbers you have.) Heat on Medium until the sugar dissolves stirring occasionally.
While your brine is heating, you will need to slice your onions and peel your garlic. As many of you know, I used to sell Pampered Chef. During the time I was selling, I picked up a few useful tools, some of which I use everyday and others I have never used. One of the tools I purchased was the garlic peeler. I am more of a pressed garlic person so up to this point I have never had to peel garlic. If you ever have had to peel garlic you know it is no fun! After peeling one clove I remembered I had this nifty little peeler. Let's see if it works!!! You take your clove and place it in the peeler. Slowly roll the peeler back and forth a few times.
Pick up your peeler and dump out it's contents onto your cutting board and....
wahlah a peeled clove a garlic and you didn't even get your hands garlicy!!!
I will use this tool more often!!!!
Once all your onion(s) are sliced and your garlic peeled you can start stuffing your jars. I say stuffing because cucumbers shrink A LOT and as you will see if you don't stuff your jars you will have a lot of wasted space in your jars. (One onion sliced will accomidate 3 jars so slice accordingly.) To fill your jars you put in 1/3 your onion, LOTS of cucumber slices, a head of dill and 2-3 cloves garlic.
When your brine is ready, sugar is dissolved, you pour your brine into your jars leaving 1/2 inch head space. After all your jars are full, place them in a hot water bath for 10 minutes to process. Bring your water to a boil, put your jars in and start timing when the water returns to a boil.
After the ten minutes remove your jars and let them cool for 12 hours. You may want to wash off your jars before storing them, they can get a little sticky in the water bath. You will want to wait a few weeks before you eat your pickles but once you do ENJOY!!!! :) MMMmmmm PICKLES!!!!!!












1 comment:

  1. Oh I love pickles! I need to find time to try these out!

    ReplyDelete